- Develops, directs, and implements economic development strategies and plans for the city, including planning and zoning and community services, to achieve job creation and economic growth within the city.
- Analyzes community trends and patterns from a geographical and socio-economic standpoint and develops and recommends programs to the mayor and promotes approved programs to appropriate agencies, groups, and associations.
- Oversees all department operations, including budget preparation and administration, employee supervision and evaluation, and coordination of all departmental activities and functions relating to economic development, planning and zoning, and community services, including the drafting and administration of planning related ordinances and resolutions.
- Delegates duties and assigns work to other department personnel to ensure the successful completion of tasks and compliance with all regulations and the mission of the department.
- Coordinates departmental operations with other local, state, and federal agencies as well as nonprofit and private sector organizations.
- Represents the department and its initiatives and programs before a wide variety of public and private groups, and boards and commissions, including the City Council, the Plan Commission, the Board of Zoning Appeals, the Economic Development Commission, the Redevelopment Commission, neighborhood associations, civic groups, and state and federal agencies, as needed.
- Oversees the management of the various on-going community development projects, including the acquisition of property, project design, construction, and inspection.
- Continually reviews the goals and objectives for the department and implements corrective actions to ensure the achievement of goals and objectives.
- Performs related duties as assigned.